From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 18:16:30
1 On Monday, October 3, 2016 1:49:47 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > This assumes that what is good for Gentoo is more developers, and what
4 > is bad for Gentoo is less developers.
5
6 Is the amount of open source software increasing or decreasing?
7
8 Just about every aspect of Gentoo is lacking manpower. I am not aware of any
9 part of Gentoo that is over staffed. You cannot always pick the ideal person
10 to get involved, with the perfect personality and skills. At some point Gentoo
11 as a project needs to learn to work with what it has, good or bad, for the
12 good of it all.
13
14 > By that argument we shouldn't have Comrel at all, and we should give
15 > dev access to anybody who asks for it.
16
17 That is closer to how Gentoo started. It would be interesting to see when
18 comrel/devrel came into existence and the impact on the project since then.
19 Devrel/comrel was not present when Gentoo first started as a project. It came
20 about later on.
21
22 > The criteria Comrel should be judged on is whether it is correctly
23 > apply the Code of Conduct.
24
25 Gentoo is a technical project, not a social one. Social conduct should not
26 hold back development. Social conflict is inevitable in technology not to
27 mention international development with different cultures, language
28 translations etc.
29
30 Tech is known for people who do not act right or nicely. I have never heard
31 anyone say Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerburg, Larry Ellison and many
32 others were nice guys... Many were known if not famous for not being nice
33 guys... You need strong personalities and at times brute force to get things
34 done.
35
36 Darwin is not about being nice but surviving. Gentoo's goal should not be the
37 most peaceful distro or development process. It should be to have the latest
38 of all software, which means there will be conflicts, at the technical level
39 and otherwise.
40
41 If adherence to a CoC makes Gentoo suffer in any way technically. Then it
42 should be modified to suit the technical direction, not social.
43
44 > While I certainly would prefer to see developers change their behavior
45 > than see them be kicked out, I'd rather see them be kicked out than
46 > see them continue their previous behavior if it is egregious.
47
48 There is more to it than just kicked out. There are those like me who are
49 motivated to lose interest. I believe many more have voluntarily left the
50 project as I did, than were kicked out.
51
52 Losing developers and talent will never be good for Gentoo. Not unless they
53 are replaced with another or two or more. Thus far that is not the case. Most
54 developers lost are not replaced.
55
56 I am ok with comrel/recruiting driving people away either by force or
57 motivation. But either way they should be replacing them, yet make no effort
58 to do such.
59
60 > By the time Comrel steps in a problem already exists.
61
62 Not always, but do we have facts to go on?
63
64 At least in my case in 2008, the problem was resolved and ended before devrel
65 sought to take action. If they did not then, none of this would have existed.
66
67 I was banned from posting to -nfp. I made 1 post after that ban. I could have
68 posted much more. I stopped, the problem ended. Days later devrel decided I
69 needed to be suspended for 15 days for the 1 post. Despite nothing after that
70 post and the matter having ended. They got involved when they needed not, took
71 action beyond what they needed to resolve the issue, and the result has
72 created a problem spanning ~8 years.
73
74 Same in 2015. I was proceeding with jlec, till others decided they need to
75 participate and cause problems rather than be helpful.
76
77 > And by resolving I meant driving to a conclusion. Ideally that
78 > conclusion is that people are behaving nicely. However, a situation
79 > where somebody who does not demonstrate a change in behavior is
80 > removed is a resolution.
81
82 You cannot control peoples behavior. This is a volunteer project. The main
83 goal is to continue to attract volunteers and keep the project moving forward
84 technically.
85
86 If you seek harmony in this process. You are seeking something that will never
87 be obtained, and the process of achieving such harmony will have its own
88 consequences. Which could potentially effect things as a whole much worse than
89 the original problem.
90
91 That has been the case with me. The problem created by devrel/comrel has set
92 back Gentoo Java over 8 years, and also hurt the foundation regarding its IRS
93 status. Neither is good for Gentoo. For any harm I may have brought to Gentoo
94 since 2008. What if I brought more good than bad?
95
96 None the less, bad will always be there, Gentoo needs all the good,
97 developers, manpower, and contributions it can get.
100 William L. Thomson Jr.