From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 17:49:53
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 1:34 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Monday, October 3, 2016 12:16:47 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >> > # of developers recruited
6 >>
7 >> Comrel doesn't recruit developers, so this is a bit meaningless.
8 >
9 > They are related projects, both under the same Community Resources project. 3
10 > of 5 recruiters are members of comrel.
11 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:ComRes
12 >
13 > The number of new developers is very important relating to the number that may
14 > have been driven away, either kicked out, or like me motivated to retired/
15 > resign. Or had action taken against them.
16 >
17 > If say comrel took action against 5 in a year, and say 10 were recruited. That
18 > is bad stats for Gentoo as a whole. If more are being effected by comrel than
19 > recruited in a year even worse. Again that is very important information to
20 > know.
21
22 This assumes that what is good for Gentoo is more developers, and what
23 is bad for Gentoo is less developers.
24
25 By that argument we shouldn't have Comrel at all, and we should give
26 dev access to anybody who asks for it.
27
28 The criteria Comrel should be judged on is whether it is correctly
29 apply the Code of Conduct.
30
31 While I certainly would prefer to see developers change their behavior
32 than see them be kicked out, I'd rather see them be kicked out than
33 see them continue their previous behavior if it is egregious.
34
35 >> But, if this isn't the case it could also be a useful metric. My
36 >> sense is that Comrel doesn't actually resolve that many cases.
37 >
38 > That has been my main point since 2008. An entity that should resolve
39 > problems, instead creates them, and makes them much bigger and worse. That is
40 > my assumption, but facts can show one way or another. I hope I am wrong, but
41 > if I am right...
44 By the time Comrel steps in a problem already exists.
45
46 And by resolving I meant driving to a conclusion. Ideally that
47 conclusion is that people are behaving nicely. However, a situation
48 where somebody who does not demonstrate a change in behavior is
49 removed is a resolution.
52 Rich