From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 18:05:13
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 1:34 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
3 > <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Monday, October 3, 2016 12:16:47 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> > # of developers recruited
7 >>>
8 >>> Comrel doesn't recruit developers, so this is a bit meaningless.
9 >>
10 >> They are related projects, both under the same Community Resources
11 >> project. 3
12 >> of 5 recruiters are members of comrel.
13 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:ComRes
14 >>
15 >> The number of new developers is very important relating to the
16 >> number that
17 >> may
18 >> have been driven away, either kicked out, or like me motivated to
19 >> retired/
20 >> resign. Or had action taken against them.
21 >>
22 >> If say comrel took action against 5 in a year, and say 10 were
23 >> recruited. That
24 >> is bad stats for Gentoo as a whole. If more are being effected by
25 >> comrel than
26 >> recruited in a year even worse. Again that is very important
27 >> information to
28 >> know.
29 >
30 > This assumes that what is good for Gentoo is more developers, and what
31 > is bad for Gentoo is less developers.
32 >
33 > By that argument we shouldn't have Comrel at all, and we should give
34 > dev access to anybody who asks for it.
35 >
36 > The criteria Comrel should be judged on is whether it is correctly
37 > apply the Code of Conduct.
38 >
39 > While I certainly would prefer to see developers change their behavior
40 > than see them be kicked out, I'd rather see them be kicked out than
41 > see them continue their previous behavior if it is egregious.
42
43 I see a good opportunity to make an analogy here.
44
45 Gentoo is a strawberry field that makes strawberry jam.
46
47 Developers are the plants.
48
49 Users are the happy customers of the field who put strawberry jam on
50 their toast every morning when they use a gentoo system.
51
52 Recruiters are the guys who go to the seed market, sift through the
53 supplies, and find the best, healthiest seeds to plant in the field.
54 They are the farmers.
55
56 Comrel is the undertaker that applies pesticides and if necessary
57 uproots bad plants.
58
59 Now, I think both roles are important. However, for the field to grow,
60 there must, by sheer mathematical logic, be more strawberries being
61 planted than strawberries being uprooted.
62
63 Comrel can, and must, continue to weed out bad developers who are
64 hurting the project with toxic behavior. The users who are eating
65 their toast in the morning don't want rotten berries in their jam.
66
67 However, if there's a shortage of jam (bugs being neglected, new
68 packages being sluggish on uptake) then we need more developers to
69 handle the workload. And if the strawberry field is thin, we need more
70 farmers (recruiters) to plant more strawberries.
71
72 Considering we have only 5 recruiters, 3 of which were cited as also
73 being comrel members...I have a hunch we have a manpower issue, and we
74 should get more recruiters. As a developer-in-the-making myself I've
75 felt the frustration this has caused. I personally do not think 5
76 recruiters is enough, especially if 3 of them have a conflict of duty
77 where their time is divided with comrel tasks instead of recruiting. My
78 personal opinion is that, barring the synergy of having a person
79 skilled in both, that members of comrel should not also be members of
80 recruiters unless their dual posting is accounted for in terms of a
81 manpower census.
82
83 >>> But, if this isn't the case it could also be a useful metric. My
84 >>> sense is that Comrel doesn't actually resolve that many cases.
85 >>
86 >> That has been my main point since 2008. An entity that should
87 >> resolve
88 >> problems, instead creates them, and makes them much bigger and
89 >> worse. That is
90 >> my assumption, but facts can show one way or another. I hope I am
91 >> wrong, but
92 >> if I am right...
93
94 As I cited, I don't think that comrel is causing a problem on its own.
95 As long as the people comrel ejects are indeed bad developers, they
96 need to go anyway.
97
98 The gentoo farm may have a shortage of jam, but just like Applejack's
99 cider from Sweet Apple Acres, there's a reputation of quality that has
100 to be preserved at pretty much all costs. Taking shortcuts by easing
101 comrel off its human resources QA task is not the right answer.
102
103 If comrel is weeding out good developers though, that IS a problem.
104
105 No, I don't know if this is actually the case
106
107 > By the time Comrel steps in a problem already exists.
108 >
109 > And by resolving I meant driving to a conclusion. Ideally that
110 > conclusion is that people are behaving nicely. However, a situation
111 > where somebody who does not demonstrate a change in behavior is
112 > removed is a resolution.
113 >
114 > --
115 > Rich