From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 17:34:22
1 On Monday, October 3, 2016 12:16:47 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > > # of developers recruited
4 >
5 > Comrel doesn't recruit developers, so this is a bit meaningless.
6
7 They are related projects, both under the same Community Resources project. 3
8 of 5 recruiters are members of comrel.
9 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:ComRes
10
11 The number of new developers is very important relating to the number that may
12 have been driven away, either kicked out, or like me motivated to retired/
13 resign. Or had action taken against them.
14
15 If say comrel took action against 5 in a year, and say 10 were recruited. That
16 is bad stats for Gentoo as a whole. If more are being effected by comrel than
17 recruited in a year even worse. Again that is very important information to
18 know.
19
20 > Somebody on Comrel could comment further, but I don't think they take
21 > any action without a majority vote from their members, and
22 > non-responses are effectively no votes (which might result in some
23 > decisions dragging on). So, that would mean that every action
24 > involves a majority of their membership.
25
26 They already have. It is where I found out that you have to REQUEST a vote
27 from all members of comrel. Which implies that any one can act without a vote
28 from all. I have never read this before and I just learned about it with this
29 post.
30
31 "As also documented there, if you disagree you can request a full comrel team
32 vote. "
33 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/
34 ba54d01631cb6d299d11007998fd5a34
35
36 Even more interesting, it say as documented there, referencing my bug. I think
37 that is hardly the place for official information on comrel. With regard to
38 requesting a vote from all members.
39
40 > But, if this isn't the case it could also be a useful metric. My
41 > sense is that Comrel doesn't actually resolve that many cases.
42
43 That has been my main point since 2008. An entity that should resolve
44 problems, instead creates them, and makes them much bigger and worse. That is
45 my assumption, but facts can show one way or another. I hope I am wrong, but
46 if I am right...
49 William L. Thomson Jr.