From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 15:51:35
1 On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 07:31:02 -0800
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 > Also, this doesn't seem to have been a problem in the past, and yet
6 > our policy was far less free then.
7 >
8 ...
9 >
10 > We've done just fine for going on 20 years not allowing any notice
11 > other than "Copyright xxx Gentoo Foundation." Now we open things up a
12 > tiny bit and suddenly everybody and their uncle is saying that their
13 > employers won't let them contribute code unless they stick their
14 > company name in there. What have they been doing for the last decade?
17 Just like Gentoo's policies, things change in corporate environments.
18
19 Where things have been fine contirubting without the attribution in the
20 past. The new attribution requirement is due to Gentoo changing
21 things with the copyright. With that change meant that the new "Gentoo"
22 change had to be run by the "new" corporate management structure. That
23 result came back that the contributions now require the SIE
24 attribution.
25
26 Why is that so hard to understand...
27
28 If you didn't push for the copyright change in Gentoo, then the new
29 policy wouldn't have had to be run past the "new bigger" corporate
30 lawyers... and the status quo would not have changed... we wouldn't
31 be having this run-on rant/bikeshed/waste of everyone's time/...
32 typical endless mail list thread which just makes even more current or
33 future developers want to quit/withdraw their application/add another
34 tick to the con column about becoming a Gentoo dev.
35
36 What you are calling abuse (Not just Rich0, anyone with that opinion)
37 is just a consequence of the new GLEP and it's text. Get over it.