From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: John Lawles <jl.050877@×××××.com>
Cc: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Plan, then communicate
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:17:44
1 John Lawles wrote:
2 >
3 > The concept is that there would be a separate team maintaining
4 > the stable tree. A precedent for this would be the Linux kernel's
5 > two-track development.
8 Actually, in theory that is what already happens with stable keywording
9 - or is supposed to happen. It is a different group of developers who
10 maintain the stable tree (well, there is overlap, but some people wear
11 multiple hats).
12
13 Expat was a real mess - mainly because they break ABI and it doesn't use
14 slotting. I'm not sure why slotting couldn't have been used in this
15 case (others might be able to comment on this).
16
17 What we need is a better mechanism of warning users that they're about
18 to do something that could cause them major headaches. ELOG is useless
19 when you find out after the fact.
20
21 revdep-rebuild working better would also be nice. If it won't work the
22 ebuild should abort prior to install with a link to a document
23 indicating what will need to be done, and then users can read and
24 understand it before they break things.
25
26 > As a mere end-user, I am not recommending any particular
27 > solution. I am suggesting that more effort be devoted to
28 > (a) recognizing user frustrations, (b) proposing good solutions,
29 > and (c) letting us know that you see the problems and that
30 > solutions are being worked on.
33 I agree that this is something that does need better attention in
34 general. I find it a bit frustrating to have to carefully check my
35 emerge -auD lists to ensure that the whole system won't blow up after
36 the install - and prior to last Aug I'd never even heard of expat...
37 --
38 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list