From: John Lawles <jl.050877@×××××.com>
To: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Plan, then communicate
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 04:45:43
1 On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 09:42:21PM -0500, Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > how will a separate portage tree for devs be any different from
3 > what we already have (masking and keywording),
4
5 Those don't help when it is the 'stable' part of the tree that
6 breaks. The most exasperating problems that I can remember
7 involved basic libraries that were changed (upgraded or removed) in
8 the "stable" tree and that change, in turn, exposed broken
9 dependencies or some such elsewhere. IIRC, libexpat was an example
10 of that and you can see the level of end-user frustration in a
11 thread such as:
12 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-575655-highlight-libexpat.html
13
14 > and how will we prevent users getting hit with even worse bugs
15 > because nobody is bothering to test anything in the environment
16 > that end-users actually use?
17
18 The concept is that there would be a separate team maintaining
19 the stable tree. A precedent for this would be the Linux kernel's
20 two-track development.
21
22 I use my own mini-two-tree system. I emerge --sync and then
23 wait a week. During that week, many users will encounter bugs and
24 work-arounds start appearing in the forums. After that week, I
25 upgrade in relative confidence that, while my system may break,
26 there is a good chance that there will be a known procedure for
27 fixing it.
28
29 As a mere end-user, I am not recommending any particular
30 solution. I am suggesting that more effort be devoted to
31 (a) recognizing user frustrations, (b) proposing good solutions,
32 and (c) letting us know that you see the problems and that
33 solutions are being worked on.
34
35 Regards,
36
37 John
38
39 P.S.
40 > What I recommend is running the stable tree in general, and then accepting
41 > only individual packages in ~arch
42
43 Yes, that is what I do. I would run completely stable but many
44 system essentials (such as, at my last upgrade, the X11 fonts) are
45 masked.
46
47 P.P.S. Again, my thanks to all developers for their monumental
48 efforts in making the distribution that I want to use.
51 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list