From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 06:44:30
1 On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:53 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > For the record: we currently count 3 QA members in the Council. Given
3 > their abstention, that means that for any motion to pass, all remaining
4 > Council members would have to vote 'yes'. If we had one more QA member,
5 > all motions would automatically be rejected by abstention.
6 >
7 > However, I would personally lean towards changing the voting model to be
8 > less silly and make abstention really distinct from 'no'.
11 If the consequences of waiting are so onerous as to require an
12 immediate decision on the matter, people are going to choose action
13 anyway, regardless of any rules. If an issue does not require
14 immediate attention, any action may as well wait until everyone has
15 read and understood the matter.
16
17 In the US, there are circumstances where the sergeant at arms of the
18 Senate can use all executive forces available to make senators show
19 up. That this is possible should show something important: abstention
20 means neither yes nor no.
21
22 Cheers,
23 R0b0t1