From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 05:53:13
1 W dniu śro, 14.02.2018 o godzinie 00∶21 +0100, użytkownik Alexis Ballier
2 napisał:
3 > On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 16:42:34 -0600
4 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Hi all,
7 > >
8 > > The council can't make this change since it is a glep 39 change, so I
9 > > am bringing it to the community for discussion -- I assume there
10 > > would need to be a full dev vote to make it happen.
11 > >
12 > > I feel that council members should not be members of projects whose
13 > > actions can be appealed to the council like qa or comrel. I have felt
14 > > this way for a long time, because I think it compromises the full
15 > > council's ability to vote fairly on appeals.
16 >
17 > In most sane entities I've seen where there's a possible conflict of
18 > interest, people remotely suspected to be biased not only refrain from
19 > voting but also keep quiet during the whole discussion. All of this by
20 > themselves.
21 >
22 > I don't think we should prevent any such conflict by prohibiting people
23 > from running from council (or forcing them to resign from other
24 > duties). Self-discipline should be enough, but since you feel this is
25 > not properly applied, maybe a rule to say they should not participate
26 > to the discussion nor voting in those cases would be saner ?
29 For the record: we currently count 3 QA members in the Council. Given
30 their abstention, that means that for any motion to pass, all remaining
31 Council members would have to vote 'yes'. If we had one more QA member,
32 all motions would automatically be rejected by abstention.
33
34 However, I would personally lean towards changing the voting model to be
35 less silly and make abstention really distinct from 'no'.
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny