From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 23:22:00
1 On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 16:42:34 -0600
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > The council can't make this change since it is a glep 39 change, so I
7 > am bringing it to the community for discussion -- I assume there
8 > would need to be a full dev vote to make it happen.
9 >
10 > I feel that council members should not be members of projects whose
11 > actions can be appealed to the council like qa or comrel. I have felt
12 > this way for a long time, because I think it compromises the full
13 > council's ability to vote fairly on appeals.
14
15 In most sane entities I've seen where there's a possible conflict of
16 interest, people remotely suspected to be biased not only refrain from
17 voting but also keep quiet during the whole discussion. All of this by
18 themselves.
19
20 I don't think we should prevent any such conflict by prohibiting people
21 from running from council (or forcing them to resign from other
22 duties). Self-discipline should be enough, but since you feel this is
23 not properly applied, maybe a rule to say they should not participate
24 to the discussion nor voting in those cases would be saner ?
25
26 Alexis.