From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 18:00:39
1 On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 1:55:37 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > Looking at our developer map this seems incredibly impractical. I
4 > know I've yet to actually bump into another Gentoo developer.
5
6 Despite the question of my social skills, I have met several in person at
7 Linux World Expo. When manning the Gentoo booth, representing Gentoo, and also
8 just attending. Why I take issue when others who have not met me in person
9 question my social skills.... More so if they have not met other devs...
10
11 GPG key signing was something we did then, at least one year.
12 Not sure if we did it every year, or routinely. We did it by exchanging IDs
13 (fake or real?) at least we attempted to prove the person was who they said
14 they were in person. Then did the signing thing.
15
16 > Sure, I
17 > could fly out to SCALE or FOSDEM (which are about equidistant), but
18 > this seems a bit much for a requirement, even if I'm likely to get
19 > around to it one of these years.
20
21 Ideally Gentoo has its own conference, though location would be hard. Not sure
22 if that is more practical than trying to gather at an existing. It was
23 something I was interested in when I was a trustee. Though would face the same
24 geographic issues on what location would be central to all, if any.
25
26 I also had thoughts of helping to provide funds for travel to developers, and
27 in a utopian world also provide development gear, laptop, etc. Gentoo being a
28 501c6 like the NFL was, and PGA Tour. The PGA Tour provides laptops to
29 members, Tiger Woods etc. Gentoo could be doing the same with proper
30 organization, and a functional foundation.
31
32 So many things are possible with proper organization, leadership, and a strong
33 foundation....
36 William L. Thomson Jr.