From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo as hobbyist distro
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 14:48:29
1 Am Sonntag, 16. Juni 2019, 20:09:38 CEST schrieb Michał Górny:
2 >
3 > Some developers were recently complaining that we're turning Gentoo into
4 > a hobbyist distro and that's apparently bad.
5 >
6 > Do you think Gentoo should allow for experimental and unstable features,
7 > and possibly breaking changes that make Gentoo more interesting for
8 > hobbyists? Or should we block breaking changes and become more
9 > conservative for users who prefer stable distribution with minimal
10 > maintenance burden?
11
12 We're torn between extremes here, and I think nothing we do will make
13 *everyone* happy. That said, we do have the duality stable/~arch, and that
14 should already answer a large part of that question. In an ideal world, stable
15 should be rock-solid and production worthy, and ~arch should be bleeding edge
16 with occasional bugs and compile failures that come with that.
17
18 Where that doesnt work (say, profiles) ...
19
20 Let's start with the following assumption: Our main objective should be that
21 Gentoo has a vivid, productive, and growing developer community. (If you think
22 that doesnt sound right, you can try replacing "developer" with "productive
23 contributor".)
24
25 Developers exist in two overlapping types, broadly speaking:
26 1) hobbyists who do something because it's interesting and cool
27 2) employees who are paid to do something because it's useful
28
29 So, we need to find a compromise between these two, with weight on the group
30 that contributes to Gentoo most.
31
32 Right now my personal feeling is that we're trying to set long deprecation
33 times when something is going away, and that nevertheless migration to, say, a
34 new profile tends to only *start* when we threaten that the deprecation time
35 will be over soon and the old one will go away.
36
37 We can't be stuck at the same level forever. Occasionally we will have to
38 change something that requires manual intervention. Hey, if you have a big
39 server farm, that's what all these horrible automation tools (puppet, rex,
40 ...) are good for. I think. Let's do it carefully, announce it, announce
41 deprecation times, and give people time to do it. And then move on.
45 Andreas K. Hüttel
46 dilfridge@g.o
47 Gentoo Linux developer
48 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)