From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 11:04:21
1 [Disclaimer; these are my own opinions and does not represent any of
2 bodies I represent in Gentoo]
3
4 On 10/13/2016 01:30 AM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
5 > TL;DR: move comrel, infra, PR to Foundation. Have strict(er) application
6 > of policies to them in line with their powers.
7
8 A discussion of where things belongs in the Gentoo Project and an
9 revision of the metastructure of GLEP 39 is likely useful, even if it
10 results in no no practical changes, in order to ensure it is updated to
11 reflect current needs. Such a revision should happen every few years
12 just as a matter of principle as surroundings change.
13
14 In terms of adding on to foundation, if this were to happen and the GLEP
15 is updated with a new situation outlined, it is clearer what to vote for
16 and what powers are granted to various bodies. Historically council
17 elections have received a higher turnout than foundation trustees, but
18 this might change by the mandate, so historical data might not be
19 representative. There seems to be a scew between european and
20 north-american participants between the two bodies, much of this likely
21 relating to making the operations easier for a New Mexico registered
22 body and tasks that e.g requires US SSNs. This is likely not an issue in
23 practice, but would require increasing the scope of the Foundation such
24 that the Board of Trustees is separate from the daily operation
25 performed by the Officers. I.e it would require a larger organization to
26 support it, than leaving this to the trustees themselves.
27
28 I'm greatly concerned that the foundation has failed at performing the
29 duties they already have responsibilities for, in particular with
30 regards to neglecting the financial standing (up until you picked it up
31 again Robin, thank you for doing that). In the Prague conference
32 presentation you also mentioned the need for a monetary war chest due to
33 possibility of backtaxes to get in good standing with IRS due to
34 improper filing historically to qualify as a non-profit organization
35 (under 503(c)(3))[Note 1], and mentioned on page 13 in [your slides],
36 "Potential major legal expenses coming for foundation status", this also
37 comes back to page 14 stating "Prior treasurers did not have
38 double-entry, and missed income/expenses.".
39
40 This demonstrates a severe lack of leadership, organization and control
41 of the body that first and foremost is responsible for handling this to
42 reduce the burden of it from the rest of the developing community. I
43 would be more comfortable discussing metastructure changes that are
44 adding to foundation powers if they managed to keep up to date with the
45 responsibilities they have and have had in the past.
46
47 References:
48 [your slides]
49 https://download.sumptuouscapital.com/gentoo/Gentoo%20Foundation%20Status.pdf
50
51 Endnotes:
52 [Note 1] It was recorded, but I don't see any Gentoo Miniconf videos in
53 the list of the other videos of the conference yet, but others that are
54 more familiar with the organization can comment more on the availability
55 of the recording if others want to see it
58 Kristian Fiskerstrand
59 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
60 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3