From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 12:05:57
1 On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:04 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > This demonstrates a severe lack of leadership, organization and control
4 > of the body that first and foremost is responsible for handling this to
5 > reduce the burden of it from the rest of the developing community.
6
7 I think we also need to be careful here. Ultimately the Trustees are
8 also volunteers.
9
10 I think we can be objective about the issues (the IRS doesn't care if
11 we're volunteers, though our small size probably also means we're not
12 going to be a big priority for them). However, we need to keep in
13 mind the realities of the situation when we talk about solutions/etc.
14
15 Having a really strong leader on its own isn't going to cause the
16 books to get taken care of. Historically, it has also been difficult
17 enough just getting people to populate all the Trustee slots (we've
18 managed to keep them full for a number of years now, but this was not
19 always the case in the past).
20
21 Still, adding further responsibilities probably won't help. We may
22 really need to rethink our metastructure if we think we can't sustain
23 the one we have. Maybe we need to have a governance board that spends
24 less time trying to do bookkeeping, etc.
28 Rich