From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 12:15:50
1 On 10/13/2016 02:05 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:04 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> This demonstrates a severe lack of leadership, organization and control
5 >> of the body that first and foremost is responsible for handling this to
6 >> reduce the burden of it from the rest of the developing community.
7 >
8 > I think we also need to be careful here. Ultimately the Trustees are
9 > also volunteers.
10
11 It is voluntary to stand for election and become a trustee, once someone
12 become a trustee they have fiduciary responsibilities to the organization.
13
14 That said, it can be generalized more than that. It is voluntary to
15 maintain a package, but after that, if someone is having lingering
16 security bugs in their packages due to lack of time etc, they need to
17 re-evaluate whether to be listed as maintainer for said package.
18
19 tldr; it is voluntary to sign up, but if saying you're taking
20 responsibility you need to do it and stand behind the actions.
23 > I think we can be objective about the issues (the IRS doesn't care if
24 > we're volunteers, though our small size probably also means we're not
25 > going to be a big priority for them). However, we need to keep in
26 > mind the realities of the situation when we talk about solutions/etc.
27 >
28 > Having a really strong leader on its own isn't going to cause the
29 > books to get taken care of. Historically, it has also been difficult
30
31 Leadership doesn't necessarily mean strong single person leader in the
32 sense of dictatorship, per se, but this is the foundation that is
33 responsible for finances and legal issues to begin with, if they need to
34 hire legal or accounting resources to fulfil that role, they are
35 responsible to actually do it; not let it linger on for years. If
36 neglecting to file causes harm to the organization there might even be a
37 legal basis for reimbursement due to the failure of fiduciary duties.
40 > Still, adding further responsibilities probably won't help. We may
41 > really need to rethink our metastructure if we think we can't sustain
42 > the one we have. Maybe we need to have a governance board that spends
43 > less time trying to do bookkeeping, etc.
46 In many cases it makes a great deal of sense to have a registered
47 accountant doing the bookkeeping and filings in order to ensure it is
48 properly done. Whether the trustees have the necessary competence to do
49 it in-house instead of outsourcing it is a matter for the trustees. In
50 the mean time I'm waiting for the annual reports going back a number of
51 years that are missing.
54 Kristian Fiskerstrand
55 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
56 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3