From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 12:29:45
1 On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:15 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 10/13/2016 02:05 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I think we also need to be careful here. Ultimately the Trustees are
5 >> also volunteers.
6 >
7 > It is voluntary to stand for election and become a trustee, once someone
8 > become a trustee they have fiduciary responsibilities to the organization.
9
10 Sure, but we're hardly going to be better served if they all
11 acknowledge their difficulties and step down. At least, not unless we
12 change the organization such that their positions aren't still
13 necessary.
16 > In many cases it makes a great deal of sense to have a registered
17 > accountant doing the bookkeeping and filings in order to ensure it is
18 > properly done.
19
20 I tend to agree. At points we've even discussed joining an umbrella
21 organization so that all the business functions are performed
22 professionally.
23
24 A challenge here is that we don't really have a ton of money where we
25 can just go hiring professionals left and right. We're big enough to
26 warrant care, but we couldn't afford even a single FTE with what we
27 have. Umbrella organizations have the advantage that they basically
28 manage your organization in accordance with their standardized
29 processes so the cost ends up being fairly low. However, you give up
30 a lot of autonomy/etc in this process.
33 Rich