From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>, gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Dropping rsync as a tree distribution method
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 07:38:10
1 On 12/15/18 9:17 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 12:13 AM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o
5 > <mailto:gyakovlev@g.o>> wrote:
6 >
7 > On Saturday, December 15, 2018 8:40:38 PM PST Matt Turner wrote:
8 > > On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 11:16 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o
9 > <mailto:antarus@g.o>> wrote:
10 > > > - Disk usage for git vs rsync
11 > >
12 > > This is why I have not switched. With git you pull down increasing
13 > > amounts of history, whereas with rsync the data fits easily in a <1GB
14 > > partition.
15 >
16 > Recent portage can use sync-depth = 1
17 > repo dir no longer grows as it used to and it's works fine unlike
18 > initial
19 > implementation that was giving trouble
20 >
21 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/552814
22 >
23 > du -hs /var/db/repos/gentoo
24 > 350M    /var/db/repos/gentoo
25 >
26 > example /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf :
27 > [DEFAULT]
28 > main-repo = gentoo
29 >
30 > [gentoo]
31 > auto-sync = yes
32 > location = /var/db/repos/gentoo
33 > sync-type = git
34 > sync-uri = https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
35 > sync-depth = 1
36 > sync-git-clone-extra-opts = -b master
37 > sync-git-verify-commit-signature = true
40 > sync is almost instantaneous compared to rsync, but some folks not
41 > going to
42 > like github as a mirror in this case.
45 > I don't plan on using github for the mirror, so I'm not overly worried
46 > about that portion.
47 >
48 > +Zac Medico <mailto:zmedico@g.o>
49 >
50 > My recollection was that git doesn't ship with ebuild metadata by
51 > default, so even if we make the first sync fast (by using depth=1 in the
52 > clone) do we have a good story for ebuild metadata? Is portage just
53 > faster than in the past for ebuilds with missing metadata? Does emerge
54 > --sync handle metadata regen for syncs with git origins?
55
56 The metadata has to be included in the git repostory, and we've
57 currently got "master" and "stable" branches which include everything
58 that the rsync tree has:
59
60 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/sync/gentoo.git/log/?h=master
61 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/sync/gentoo.git/log/?h=stable
62
63 Both branches are also mirrored on github:
64
65 https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo/commits/master
66 https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo/commits/stable
67
68 It would be interesting to see some garbage collection stats for
69 sync-deph = 1, people using it should post the output of this command:
70
71 git count-objects -v
72
73 > -A