From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for ways the Foundation can accomplish its mission.
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 13:32:00
1 On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 4:47 PM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > ...but asking for ideas how we can spend money and things like that when
4 > there's still a risk that we will lose non-profit status or lose our
5 > current assets if IRS loses patience when we will miss next deadline
6 > doesn't sound like the right order of priorities.
9 ++
10
11 The Gentoo Foundation is boring. This isn't a problem that needs to
12 be solved. We're pretty efficient money-wise, which means that
13 despite almost no effort going into fundraising and our legal
14 obligations, we're still able to pay our bills and stay under the
15 radar of regulators who could shut us down at any time.
16
17 When you only need a few thousand dollars a year to keep a global
18 organization operating that is a GOOD thing. Let's focus on making
19 that stronger. If our legal obligations are all caught up and we have
20 5 years of operating funds in the bank, maybe then we can start
21 thinking about spending more money.
22
23 If anything needs a bounty, it is an accountant...
26 Rich