From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] OpenPGP Authority Keys to provide validity of developer/service keys
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:52:59
1 On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 11:30 AM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > - As rich noted, most people have no idea how GPG works and they
4 > just do whatever they are instructed to do. I don't think a lack of
5 > knowledge of GPG indicates "being a troll" nor "lack of technical
6 > competence."
7
8 I wasn't even arguing ignorance. I've been using PGP since the days
9 when I had to jump through hoops to get around the ITAR restrictions.
10
11 I don't follow the Gentoo instructions because I don't know how to use
12 gpg. I follow them because the GLEP has a stack of requirements for
13 how a Gentoo gpg key ought to be set up, and since I have no intention
14 of ever using the key for anything else, there is no reason to waste
15 time tailoring it to my own needs. It is no different from my company
16 laptop - I configure it however they want me to and don't use it for
17 anything personal. That isn't because I don't know how to use gmail
18 or Facebook or whatever on it, but simply because it makes no sense
19 for me to get frustrated with whatever the IT policy is of the day
20 when a laptop starts at $120 these days and I can just use my own, and
21 I have independent internet anywhere I go.
22
23 Likewise the reason I don't sign my email isn't because I don't know
24 how thunderbird/kmail/whatever works. It is because there isn't much
25 intersection between MUAs that fit how I actually access email these
26 days and MUAs that can securely access my key. If my Gentoo email
27 workflow required a more gpg-centric workflow then I'd set up a
28 separate email account just for Gentoo, use Thunderbird or whatever
29 with it on a single desktop, and not look at it much except when I had
30 to. Or maybe if it were supported I'd use a different key for email
31 so that I wouldn't need to go sticking my commit-signing key on every
32 phone/laptop/whatever I use where it could get compromised and end up
33 with some poor soul getting rooted, and I could be more liberal with
34 the email key. Really though I suspect that some of the newer
35 x509-based protocols are better-supported by email clients.
36
37 I've been involved with Gentoo in one way or another for approaching
38 15 years and in all that time I think I've had to use gpg for
39 something other than commit-signing maybe once or twice. Nothing
40 wrong with using it, and I accept that some roles might require it
41 more often, but it seems a bit overkill to invest a ton of time in
42 secure email for an organization that almost never needs secure email.
43
44 No trolling intended. I just don't see the point. If it were
45 required then I would comply. I completely get the spirit vs the
46 letter of the rules, but IMO this doesn't fall under either. As far
47 as I can tell there was never any intent to require an email signing
48 subkey, and this was not a mere accidental omission, at least not on
49 the part of the majority of council members who voted for the policy.
52 Rich