From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] OT - Tinderbox question
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 08:58:24
1 12.05.2014 01:12, hasufell пишет:
2 > Patrick Lauer:
3 >> On Saturday 10 May 2014 12:46:31 hasufell wrote:
4 >>> Samuli Suominen:
5 >>>> On 09/05/14 21:37, Tom Wijsman wrote:
6 >>>>>> It's counterproductive, means now user needs to read sourcecode of
7 >>>>>> each package to determine it for himself, no global USE="gtk"
8 >>>>>> possible anymore, massive pollution of package.use.
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> So, rehashing it in a thread to which it is unrelated yields no results.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> I'm not so sure, it seems QA is picking policies as per what some loud
13 >>>> people on the ML say as opposed to giving overwhelming technical arguments
14 >>>> their proper weight
15 >>>
16 >>> Well, if QA team members confuses "bugs" with "bug reports" and say they
17 >>> don't want to do actual work (aka tinderbox), because it would cause
18 >>> more "bugs", then I have serious doubts about their technical
19 >>> understanding of certain issues.
20 >>
21 >> It's not about "want", it's about having the resources (mostly time) to do so.
22 >>
23 >> If you wish to experience that for yourself - just build everything (I can
24 >> give you a script to do so), and then triage bugs. It's great fun for the first
25 >> few hundred failures :)
28 > I hear you.
29 >
30 > Anyway, last time I spoke with the QA lead, he said that QA has
31 > currently enough manpower.
32 >
33 > It's a little bit confusing.
34 >
35 > What I am pissed about are the arguments other people have given (not
36 > you), not the missing tinderbox... really. I appreciate every hour
37 > people put in gentoo. It isn't about "you didn't get enough stuff done",
38 > at all.
39 >
40 > It is about some comments that reveal the way QA (or some parts of it)
41 > thinks about itself. Nothing more, nothing less.
42 >
43 > Something about that needs to change, IMO. And I don't necessarily mean
44 > a regrouping of members or something similar. We already tried that,
45 > didn't we? Let's not make it a habit.
48 > It's sad that you have to yell out that loud before people actually
49 > listen. But the fact is... you have to.
50 > In the end, the blame is on the guy who yelled, not on the people who
51 > didn't listen, because CoC doesn't really cover the latter.
54 You know that we do not forbid any ordinary developer to help us, that's
55 what said on our project page. If you think that you can create
56 tinderbox that can be official for Gentoo - just go for it and when you
57 will done - begin to receive kudos for great job.
58
59 Cause now i see much yelling about tinderbox(not only from you), but no
60 real progress globally. Diego did some job about tinderbox and Patrick
61 doing this job about it now.
62
63 What's your progress? Some scripts? Architectural design?
64
65 As for me - i said earlier: i can donate resources. I do not have enough
66 knowledge to build good tinderbox solution for the whole distro myself.
67 That's the true.
68
69 And yes, we need tinderbox. But, c'mon. stop talking loudly on ML and
70 get things done if you can.
73 Best regards, Sergey Popov
74 Gentoo developer
75 Gentoo Desktop Effects project lead
76 Gentoo Qt project lead
77 Gentoo Proxy maintainers project lead