From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call For Agenda Items - 13 May 2014
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 21:12:45
1 Patrick Lauer:
2 > On Saturday 10 May 2014 12:46:31 hasufell wrote:
3 >> Samuli Suominen:
4 >>> On 09/05/14 21:37, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 >>>>> It's counterproductive, means now user needs to read sourcecode of
6 >>>>> each package to determine it for himself, no global USE="gtk"
7 >>>>> possible anymore, massive pollution of package.use.
8 >>>>
9 >>>> So, rehashing it in a thread to which it is unrelated yields no results.
10 >>>
11 >>> I'm not so sure, it seems QA is picking policies as per what some loud
12 >>> people on the ML say as opposed to giving overwhelming technical arguments
13 >>> their proper weight
14 >>
15 >> Well, if QA team members confuses "bugs" with "bug reports" and say they
16 >> don't want to do actual work (aka tinderbox), because it would cause
17 >> more "bugs", then I have serious doubts about their technical
18 >> understanding of certain issues.
19 >
20 > It's not about "want", it's about having the resources (mostly time) to do so.
21 >
22 > If you wish to experience that for yourself - just build everything (I can
23 > give you a script to do so), and then triage bugs. It's great fun for the first
24 > few hundred failures :)
27 I hear you.
28
29 Anyway, last time I spoke with the QA lead, he said that QA has
30 currently enough manpower.
31
32 It's a little bit confusing.
33
34 What I am pissed about are the arguments other people have given (not
35 you), not the missing tinderbox... really. I appreciate every hour
36 people put in gentoo. It isn't about "you didn't get enough stuff done",
37 at all.
38
39 It is about some comments that reveal the way QA (or some parts of it)
40 thinks about itself. Nothing more, nothing less.
41
42 Something about that needs to change, IMO. And I don't necessarily mean
43 a regrouping of members or something similar. We already tried that,
44 didn't we? Let's not make it a habit.
47 It's sad that you have to yell out that loud before people actually
48 listen. But the fact is... you have to.
49 In the end, the blame is on the guy who yelled, not on the people who
50 didn't listen, because CoC doesn't really cover the latter.