From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-04-10
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 09:29:11
1 On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 3:01 AM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > 2) While git pull is much faster on a decent connection than rsync,
4 > metadata generation is damn slow, especially on older systems. On
5 > my Atom it takes several hours which is unacceptable. Please note
6 > I'm not talking about ChangeLogs generation, I meant metadata
7 > directory requires for portage and many tools (like eix) to work
8 > properly.
9
10 I don't think anybody has proposed ditching rsync metadata - just the
11 Changelogs at this point.
12
13 However, there is a git mirror that contains metadata:
14 https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
15
16 I use this personally - it syncs really fast daily, and if I'm
17 tweaking ebuilds I'm typically doing it in /usr/portage before I'm
18 doing it in my actual committing tree. By running git in /usr/portage
19 I can trivially extract patches/etc and confirm that I'm not missing
20 things when I make the actual commits. It also makes changes
21 persistent across syncs.
22
23 In any case, it is just one more option at this point.
26 Rich