From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 14:05:39
1 On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 5:45 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 >> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 4:58 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> If somebody was harassing somebody else, and Comrel boots them,
8 >>> and it
9 >>> turns out that they didn't file some information correctly, is it
10 >>> better to let the booted dev back in and tell Comrel to boot them
11 >>> again correctly this time?
14 >> In my opinion, sorta
15 >>
16 >> Appropriate procedure IMHO is:
17 >>
18 >> 1. Make comrel redo the "paperwork" properly
19 >> 2. Give comrel a deadline of 7 days to do so
20 >> 3. If the new "paperwork" supports the booting, leave them booted
21 >> 4. Otherwise, let the dev back in provisionally until they can be
22 >> booted
23 >> correctly.
24 >> 4.a It is probably implicit that the developer in question will be
25 >> on
26 >> implied probation.
27 >>
28 >> Letting a bad developer back in is bad for gentoo, but if they
29 >> really are
30 >> provably bad then it should be easy for comrel to fix the
31 >> paperwork. If
32 >> they can't fix it in a timely manner, that's a sign that their
33 >> original case
34 >> was messed up to begin with.
35 >
36 > Or maybe it is just a sign that Comrel is overworked, or doesn't put a
37 > lot of priority on such things?
38
39 My opinion is that if a developer is bad enough to keep out, its also
40 important enough to get the paperwork fixed to prove it. If they have
41 a clean case it *should* be very easy to get the paperwork right.
42
43 >> My main concern is making sure that a bad developer stays
44 >> booted...but also
45 >> making sure comrel can prove they're bad. Letting the bad paperwork
46 >> stagnate in limbo is bad for everyone.
47 >
48 > Sure, but so is letting the bad dev back in. Basically we're
49 > punishing the community because of a failure to go through due
50 > process.
51
52 But its the "due process" here that proves the developer is bad to
53 begin with. If comrel screwed up and there was a mistake and the
54 developer is actually meritorious, its bad for gentoo to keep them out.
55
56 >>> When somebody doesn't commit a package properly we tell them not
57 >>> to do
58 >>> it again, and we make any appropriate fixes.
59 >>
60 >> I'd prefer to make them fix it themselves, or at least ask for their
61 >> permission to do it for them.
62 >
63 > That really depends. If the tree is broken, it is against everybody's
64 > interests to just leave it that way until the original dev checks
65 > their email/irc/etc. If the problem is minor, sure, let it wait.
66 > However, for a serious problem we might not have that luxury.
67
68 Agreed, and I was citing regressions as one such "serious problem"
69
70 There are special cases, yes.
71
72 >> In my opinion, a trial court should be held responsible to do the
73 >> best job
74 >> it possibly can. An appeals court should be held responsible to
75 >> review the
76 >> cases it gets to the best of its ability. BOTH should treat their
77 >> responsibilities with utmost care and should assume that any
78 >> mistake they
79 >> make is NOT going to be caught.
80 >
81 > No argument. But at the same time if Comrel currently has a backlog
82 > of cases they aren't dealing with then there is a cost to increasing
83 > the level of rigor.
84
85 What is the cost of *not* increasing the rigor?
86
87 Honestly, I see removing a good developer by mistake as a social
88 version of a regression-type bug.
89
90 > That was one thing we didn't get a measure of.
91 > How many cases are brought to Comrel and not seriously evaluated due
92 > to lack of time?
93
94 Maybe comrel should adopt the same sort of "triage" procedures that
95 ubuntu uses to classify bugs?
96
97 I think every comrel petition should be kept on record, and then we
98 have a class-based priority for which ones get solved first. Comrel
99 stays as busy as it wants to, and it deals with the most important
100 issues first.
101
102 A toxic asshole who is sabotaging the community and can do a lot of
103 damage if not removed, would probably be a high priority case, for
104 example.
105
106 If nothing else, the number of "lower priority" cases left dangling in
107 "backlog" could be a useful statistic.
108
109 Also, I just realized that the "everyone votes" blocks comrel manpower
110 from scaling.
111
112 What if each member of comrel was granted the discretion to handle
113 everything as they themselves saw fit, subject to the provision that
114 the comrel lead/comrel as a group/the council could receive appeals?
115
116 Judge Dredds all on a squad, but all of them watched by higher powers
117 ot make sure they do the best they can and can have their badges guided
118 or if necessary yanked if they screw up a decision.
119
120 >>> That actually brings up a separate issue with how Comrel operates.
121 >>> Right now the most common interpretation of the code of conduct
122 >>> says
123 >>> that the only person who can appeal a Comrel decision is somebody
124 >>> being punished by Comrel. If dev A complains to Comrel about dev B
125 >>> doing something wrong, and Comrel decides to take no action against
126 >>> dev B, dev A has no recourse for appeal.
127 >>
128 >> I think that dev A should have recourse for appeal...especially if
129 >> they or
130 >> their gentoo work was hampered by dev B's actions.
131 >>
132 >> But I should emphasize that dev A should have a valid basis for the
133 >> appeal,
134 >> and it should be important enough that its worth the time of dev A
135 >> taking
136 >> the time ot make the appeal instead of fixing it himself.
137 >
138 > Well, any dev should have a valid basis of appeal. Right now we have
139 > few Comrel decisions in the first place, let alone appeals. However,
140 > I'm aware of one appeal on the basis of Comrel inaction. I don't
141 > think it is harmful to say that in that case the Council didn't feel
142 > Comrel had reached a point yet where escalation was necessary.
143 > However, that does create a bit of a challenge because Council doesn't
144 > really want to deal with the entire backlog of Comrel cases if Comrel
145 > isn't able to keep up.
146
147 See earlier point about letting individual comrel members having
148 discretion to handle things on the spot Judge Dredd style...so long as
149 they are supervised by someone who can evaluate their performance and
150 if necessary intervene.
151
152 > Imagine if stale stablereqs could be appealed
153 > to Council... :)
154
155 Maybe not stale stablereqs themselves. This is a volunteer project
156 with finite manpower.
157
158 However, someone deliberately *ignoring* a stablereq when there's a
159 large need for it MIGHT be more worthy of an escalation. But merely
160 being overworked should not be an offense, and it would probably go
161 through comrel first.
162
163 > --
164 > Rich