From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: chutzpah@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 02:39:04
1 On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 3:12 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 09:20:52AM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 06:04:00PM -0800, Matt Turner wrote:
5 > > > On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > The GLEP says about the "Simplified Attribution":
8 > > >
9 > > > > Projects using this scheme must track authorship in a VCS, unless they list all authors of copyrightable contributions in an AUTHORS file.
10 > > >
11 > > > Would it be acceptable on your side to be listed in the AUTHORS file
12 > > > (which as far as I know has not been created yet)?
13 > >
14 > > I will get this answer today once I get to the office.
15 > >
16 > > There was also talk about adding a tag to commits that listed the
17 > > copyright holder for that commit but it never went anywhere. I would
18 > > propose something like:
19 > >
20 > > Copyright: <copyright notice>
21 >
22 > Putting the copyright notice in the commits might be the way to do this.
23 > If that's what we want, I suggest something like my example above.
24 >
25 > > > I'd be perfectly happy to ship an AUTHORS file in the ebuild repo that
26 > > > contains the names and emails of everyone and every company that has
27 > > > contributed to the repo.
28 > >
29 > > We probably should do this anyway and ship the AUTHORS file as part of
30 > > the rsync repository. You don't need it for the git repo since the
31 > > information is available via VCS.
32 >
33 > The AUTHORS file will contain AUTHORS, not copyright holders. Usually
34 > they are the same, but not always.
35
36 Let me try to explain what I'm suggesting.
37
38 As I understand it, the Simplified Attribution, which looks like
39
40 | Copyright YEARS Gentoo Authors
41
42 is like a pointer to the AUTHORS file, indicating that those listed
43 hold copyright on things in this repo.
44
45 I'm suggesting that in lieu of listing copyright holders explicitly in
46 each file (which as we've discussed is a pain, inaccurate, and
47 requires tedious maintenance) that we list copyright holders in the
48 AUTHORS file and use the Simplified Attribution nearly exclusively.