From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: chutzpah@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 23:12:16
1 On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 09:20:52AM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 06:04:00PM -0800, Matt Turner wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > The GLEP says about the "Simplified Attribution":
6 > >
7 > > > Projects using this scheme must track authorship in a VCS, unless they list all authors of copyrightable contributions in an AUTHORS file.
8 > >
9 > > Would it be acceptable on your side to be listed in the AUTHORS file
10 > > (which as far as I know has not been created yet)?
11 >
12 > I will get this answer today once I get to the office.
13 >
14 > There was also talk about adding a tag to commits that listed the
15 > copyright holder for that commit but it never went anywhere. I would
16 > propose something like:
17 >
18 > Copyright: <copyright notice>
19
20 Putting the copyright notice in the commits might be the way to do this.
21 If that's what we want, I suggest something like my example above.
22
23 > > I'd be perfectly happy to ship an AUTHORS file in the ebuild repo that
24 > > contains the names and emails of everyone and every company that has
25 > > contributed to the repo.
26 >
27 > We probably should do this anyway and ship the AUTHORS file as part of
28 > the rsync repository. You don't need it for the git repo since the
29 > information is available via VCS.
30
31 The AUTHORS file will contain AUTHORS, not copyright holders. Usually
32 they are the same, but not always.
33
34 So, I guess the question becomes, what do we want to do for Copyright
35 holders in the the rsync repository?
36
37 William