From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, chutzpah@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 00:06:38
1 My personal opinion is that rsync should eventually be retired for the tree.
2
3 On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 3:12 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 09:20:52AM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
6 > > On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 06:04:00PM -0800, Matt Turner wrote:
7 > > > On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
8 > wrote:
9 > > >
10 > > > The GLEP says about the "Simplified Attribution":
11 > > >
12 > > > > Projects using this scheme must track authorship in a VCS, unless
13 > they list all authors of copyrightable contributions in an AUTHORS file.
14 > > >
15 > > > Would it be acceptable on your side to be listed in the AUTHORS file
16 > > > (which as far as I know has not been created yet)?
17 > >
18 > > I will get this answer today once I get to the office.
19 > >
20 > > There was also talk about adding a tag to commits that listed the
21 > > copyright holder for that commit but it never went anywhere. I would
22 > > propose something like:
23 > >
24 > > Copyright: <copyright notice>
25 >
26 > Putting the copyright notice in the commits might be the way to do this.
27 > If that's what we want, I suggest something like my example above.
28 >
29 > > > I'd be perfectly happy to ship an AUTHORS file in the ebuild repo that
30 > > > contains the names and emails of everyone and every company that has
31 > > > contributed to the repo.
32 > >
33 > > We probably should do this anyway and ship the AUTHORS file as part of
34 > > the rsync repository. You don't need it for the git repo since the
35 > > information is available via VCS.
36 >
37 > The AUTHORS file will contain AUTHORS, not copyright holders. Usually
38 > they are the same, but not always.
39 >
40 > So, I guess the question becomes, what do we want to do for Copyright
41 > holders in the the rsync repository?
42 >
43 > William