From: Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 04:37:15
1 On 10/13/2016 06:06 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > Some definitions
3 > - All devs are staff
4 > - All staff are foundation members
5 > - All foundation members are staff
6 > - All foundation members are voting
7 > - You can be staff without being a dev (forum, bugs, irc)
8 > - Foundation membership is automatically revoked if you miss two
9 > Foundation elections (not sure if this needs to change)
10 >
11 > Proposal
12 > - All prospective staff must apply to be Foundation members, allowing
13 > for final approval by the trustees as is the current policy. Anyone not
14 > accepted will not be given staff membership.
15 > - Any Foundation membership granted as a result of a staff position is
16 > lost when the position as staff is concluded.
17 > - Any staff that is kicked or leaves during a ComRel incident may
18 > appeal their incident with the appropriate body. They will either
19 > retain or lose both staff and foundation membership simultaneously.
20 >
21 > Knock on effects
22 > - May need to modify staff quiz. Developers already take this so will
23 > automatically satisfy this requirement. Positive CoC acknowledgement
24 > should be included in the staff quiz.
25 > - By equating staff and Foundation membership we may have to change the
26 > retirement criteria for staff.
27 > - Staff will have to vote in Foundation elections.
28 > - Staffers who are not devs do not belong to a project
29 > - projects could be made
30 >
31 > Questions
32 > - Do staff get gentoo.org email addresses?
33 > - I do not think it’s necessary
34 > (limits our liability (email addresses could be considered as loosing
35 > property rights as mentioned elsewhere in one of these threads...), maybe)
36
37 I don't think so (but not a lawyer). Otherwise, you wouldn't see
38 companies assigning email addresses to their employees with the company
39 domain.
40
41 That said, it might be nice if you could use the email addresses to
42 figure out who you're talking to at first glance. Something like:
43
44 .staff.getnoo.org -- general staff member
45 .dev.gentoo.org -- gentoo developer
46 .trustee.gentoo.org -- gentoo trustee
47 .councilor.gentoo.org -- gentoo council member
48
49 etc.
50
51 Plese note that I'm not suggesting each project get its own subdomain.
52 Just a few "key" top-level entities / groups inside Gentoo.