From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 06:52:24
1 Dnia 14 października 2016 06:37:07 CEST, Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com> napisał(a):
4 >On 10/13/2016 06:06 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
5 >> Some definitions
6 >> - All devs are staff
7 >> - All staff are foundation members
8 >> - All foundation members are staff
9 >> - All foundation members are voting
10 >> - You can be staff without being a dev (forum, bugs, irc)
11 >> - Foundation membership is automatically revoked if you miss two
12 >> Foundation elections (not sure if this needs to change)
13 >>
14 >> Proposal
15 >> - All prospective staff must apply to be Foundation members, allowing
16 >> for final approval by the trustees as is the current policy. Anyone
17 >not
18 >> accepted will not be given staff membership.
19 >> - Any Foundation membership granted as a result of a staff position
20 >is
21 >> lost when the position as staff is concluded.
22 >> - Any staff that is kicked or leaves during a ComRel incident may
23 >> appeal their incident with the appropriate body. They will either
24 >> retain or lose both staff and foundation membership simultaneously.
25 >>
26 >> Knock on effects
27 >> - May need to modify staff quiz. Developers already take this so
28 >will
29 >> automatically satisfy this requirement. Positive CoC acknowledgement
30 >> should be included in the staff quiz.
31 >> - By equating staff and Foundation membership we may have to change
32 >the
33 >> retirement criteria for staff.
34 >> - Staff will have to vote in Foundation elections.
35 >> - Staffers who are not devs do not belong to a project
36 >> - projects could be made
37 >>
38 >> Questions
39 >> - Do staff get gentoo.org email addresses?
40 >> - I do not think it’s necessary
41 >> (limits our liability (email addresses could be considered as
42 >loosing
43 >> property rights as mentioned elsewhere in one of these threads...),
44 >maybe)
45 >
46 >I don't think so (but not a lawyer). Otherwise, you wouldn't see
47 >companies assigning email addresses to their employees with the company
48 >domain.
49 >
50 >That said, it might be nice if you could use the email addresses to
51 >figure out who you're talking to at first glance. Something like:
52 >
53 >.staff.getnoo.org -- general staff member
54 >.dev.gentoo.org -- gentoo developer
55 >.trustee.gentoo.org -- gentoo trustee
56 >.councilor.gentoo.org -- gentoo council member
57
58 And you suddenly invalidate the email on next election?
61 >etc.
62 >
63 >Plese note that I'm not suggesting each project get its own subdomain.
64 >Just a few "key" top-level entities / groups inside Gentoo.
69 Best regards,
70 Michał Górny (by phone)