From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for ways the Foundation can accomplish its mission.
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 16:32:05
1 On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 12:14 PM M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > That's not how I understand LDAP .. I believe there is not only build-in
4 > replication but redundancy too, so that, for instance, with logon
5 > authorisation, you're not dependent on one single host .. that would be
6 > a b1tch if it went down and thousands of users got locked out .. surely?!
7 > And yes, as far as I know, there is a security mechanism built-in so any
8 > Tom, Dick or Harry can't get the data without the relevant keys ...
9
10 It is centralized in the sense that you're trusting a central
11 authority to maintain it. It was just an example of the sort of
12 service that isn't easy to decentralize (PKI problem in general), much
13 like a lot of the tree-signing discussions, but at least those have
14 the advantage of sitting on git which is by itself easy to
15 decentralize.
16
17 And this isn't intended as some kind of Gentoo-politics stance. One
18 issue with having one legal entity own all our stuff is that we don't
19 control the law. If somebody sues Gentoo and wins, they could be
20 awarded all our infra, and that would be pretty painful to recover
21 from right now. Maybe the infra team is legally bound by
22 confidentiality to "Gentoo" (aka SCO or whoever sued us) so they can't
23 even replicate the data on new servers.
24
25 It isn't an easy thing, and I'm not suggesting holding other things
26 up, but I think in general a community-based org is better off if it
27 can actually be run by the community. If we happen to run the infra
28 on central stuff it isn't as much of a problem if all the data is
29 published/etc so that anybody can just fork the whole thing. If this
30 is done before any lawsuits/etc happen then there is no way to stop
31 it. In an ideal world there would be a wiki page on how to roll your
32 own Gentoo infra.
33
34 I don't want to sidetrack the thread further. I just think that
35 focusing more on the bazaar might work out long-term better than
36 building a better cathedral, since we aren't Redhat.
39 Rich