From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for ways the Foundation can accomplish its mission.
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 16:14:32
1 On 06/09/18 16:45, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 11:22 AM Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3 >> One idea I had infra-wise was to expand the idea of our devspace.
4 >> Increase the footprint of our virtualizatoin infra and (on request) give
5 >> devs a VM for dev work. Possibly even do some arm64 or ppc64 work there
6 >> too. Beyond that, running a binhost may be an idea, get people
7 >> bootstrapped faster.
8 > If anything I think it would make more sense to try to decentralize
9 > things more, to let individual contributors run more Gentoo services
10 > off of their own stuff. For example, it would be useful if a service
11 > hosted on a dev machine could allow LDAP users to authenticate in a
12 > secure manner, and so on.
13 >
14 > The idea would be to make us less dependent on centrally-owned
15 > infrastructure, so that it is less of a disaster if we lose access to
16 > servers for whatever reason. It would also reduce our operating
17 > costs. Services hosted by devs could still be FOSS with published
18 > configurations/sources/etc so that they're easily replicated.
19 >
20 > The biggest problem is that some of our key infra isn't easily
21 > distributed, like bugzilla. LDAP is of course by its nature a
22 > centralized service (even with something more federated you need some
23 > kind of standard of trust unless we do the web-of-trust thing - I
24 > think that needs to be down the road). Until somebody creates a
25 > git-like distributed bugzilla solution we'll probably need some kind
26 > of central repository, especially if we have private bugs such that we
27 > can't just publish the database and let anybody replicate it.
28 >
29 > --
30 > Rich
31 >
32 That's not how I understand LDAP .. I believe there is not only build-in
33 replication but redundancy too, so that, for instance, with logon
34 authorisation, you're not dependent on one single host .. that would be
35 a b1tch if it went down and thousands of users got locked out .. surely?!
36 And yes, as far as I know, there is a security mechanism built-in so any
37 Tom, Dick or Harry can't get the data without the relevant keys ...
38
39 MJE