From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for ways the Foundation can accomplish its mission.
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 15:45:58
1 On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 11:22 AM Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > One idea I had infra-wise was to expand the idea of our devspace.
4 > Increase the footprint of our virtualizatoin infra and (on request) give
5 > devs a VM for dev work. Possibly even do some arm64 or ppc64 work there
6 > too. Beyond that, running a binhost may be an idea, get people
7 > bootstrapped faster.
8
9 If anything I think it would make more sense to try to decentralize
10 things more, to let individual contributors run more Gentoo services
11 off of their own stuff. For example, it would be useful if a service
12 hosted on a dev machine could allow LDAP users to authenticate in a
13 secure manner, and so on.
14
15 The idea would be to make us less dependent on centrally-owned
16 infrastructure, so that it is less of a disaster if we lose access to
17 servers for whatever reason. It would also reduce our operating
18 costs. Services hosted by devs could still be FOSS with published
19 configurations/sources/etc so that they're easily replicated.
20
21 The biggest problem is that some of our key infra isn't easily
22 distributed, like bugzilla. LDAP is of course by its nature a
23 centralized service (even with something more federated you need some
24 kind of standard of trust unless we do the web-of-trust thing - I
25 think that needs to be down the road). Until somebody creates a
26 git-like distributed bugzilla solution we'll probably need some kind
27 of central repository, especially if we have private bugs such that we
28 can't just publish the database and let anybody replicate it.
31 Rich