From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2015-01-13: call for agenda items
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 04:19:53
1 On 12/30/14 09:25, hasufell wrote:
2 > Dean Stephens:
3 >> On 12/29/14 15:06, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> I'll certainly agree that not everything needs a formal project.
5 >>> However, if a project wants to have authority/autonomy beyond
6 >>> anything-goes, then it should welcome members and elect a lead
7 >>> regularly.
8 >>>
9 >> There is at least a defensible argument to be made that being able to
10 >> reject applicants is more important to being able to maintain a coherent
11 >> project than the often indicated duty to accept anyone who shows interest.
14 > What about projects that don't even reject, but rather ignore
15 > devs/contributors?
16 >
17 If they have a maintained project page, have elected a lead in the past
18 12 months, and that lead is otherwise active; take it for what it is:
19 rejection [1]. Otherwise, they either need to elect a new lead or allow
20 the project to dissolve, according to GLEP 39 [2].
21
22 > We tell them to elect a new lead, so we don't have to deal with the
23 > people who screwed up, but can say "here, they formally are a functional
24 > project according to a random glep... problem solved".
27 So, the document specifying the organizational structure of Gentoo as a
28 whole [2, again] is just "a random glep" now? Is anyone supposed to take
29 that rhetoric seriously or were you attempting to use humor? Either make
30 a concrete proposal to update or entirely supersede the existing project
31 structure or work within it, merely complaining about it is pointless.
32
33 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_veto
34 [2] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:39