From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Gokturk Yuksek <gokturk@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2019-04-14
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 05:42:53
1 >>>>> On Tue, 09 Apr 2019, Gokturk Yuksek wrote:
2
3 > Ulrich Mueller:
4 >> So, "real" contributors, but they don't have a real name?
5
6 > I think you're attributing malicious intent to using a pseudonym.
7
8 I haven't said that.
9
10 > There are various social and legal reasons as to why someone would use
11 > a pseudonym (that does not include infringing the copyright of an
12 > employer). I was making the argument that people who contribute under
13 > a pseudonym are just as "real" as the contributors who use their legal
14 > names.
15
16 That might well be, but the point is that we cannot verify it, which
17 means that the copyright status of such anonymous or pseudonymous
18 contributions is basically unknown.
19
20 > I'd like to (informally) propose the following, for which I'm willing
21 > to formulate as a GLEP proposal if there is interest:
22
23 > The Foundation has an established practice of storing the legal names
24 > of developers who join under a pseudonym. The infrastructure is
25 > already in place for this. I think that allowing these developers to
26 > commit using their pseudonyms as long as the Foundation is informed
27 > their real identity does not exacerbate the legal risks they already
28 > pose. The foundation may decide their arbitrary criteria on who is
29 > eligible for this type of protection, including requiring sound legal
30 > reasons for them to keep their identities hidden. I understand that
31 > the maintenance of this could be a burden for the Foundation in
32 > theory, but in practice I suspect this number is very low already.
33
34 That doesn't work, because there would be no way for a person outside of
35 the Foundation to verify such identities.
36
37 Again, all of this had been discussed before the policy was accepted.
38 Neither are real names a new thing introduced by GLEP 76, but they were
39 required for ebuild developers since 15 years by recruiters' policy [1]:
40
41 "Real names must be provided for all developers, including
42 infrastructure and documentation. Any exceptions to this for
43 extenuating circumstances will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
44 No exceptions will be made for people doing copyrightable work
45 (ebuilds, software, scripts, etc.)."
46
47 Ulrich
48