From: Gokturk Yuksek <gokturk@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2019-04-14
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 21:31:10
1 Ulrich Mueller:
2 >>>>>> On Tue, 09 Apr 2019, Gokturk Yuksek wrote:
3 >
4 >> I understand that but it creates problems with the consistent
5 >> enforcement of the policy. There are no clear guidelines as to how we
6 >> decide who requires identity validation and who doesn't. We don't even
7 >> know who is tasked with making the request and performing the
8 >> validation. If I work with a user and I am convinced that they provide
9 >> their real name, is that sufficient for the foundation? Can I
10 >> arbitrarily be suspicious of any user and demand them to provide their
11 >> identity?
12 >
13 >> [...]
14 >
15 >> I can't help but agree with the point that we are losing real
16 >> contributors and real community.
17 >
18 > So, "real" contributors, but they don't have a real name?
21 I think you're attributing malicious intent to using a pseudonym. There
22 are various social and legal reasons as to why someone would use a
23 pseudonym (that does not include infringing the copyright of an
24 employer). I was making the argument that people who contribute under a
25 pseudonym are just as "real" as the contributors who use their legal names.
26
27 >> And people whom I talked to didn't oppose the Foundation's attempt to
28 >> reduce legal liability. They were frustrated by the arbitrary
29 >> enforcement and not having their opinions heard. The fact that people
30 >> can get away with using a pseudonym as long as it reads like a normal
31 >> person name (for which there is no definition) is something we have to
32 >> address to the people who weren't as lucky with their choice of
33 >> pseudonym and lost their ability to contribute.
34 >
35 > Really, all these points had been raised before the copyright policy was
36 > approved, and I am sure that both the Council and the Board have
37 > considered them.
38 >
39 > Also, what would be the alternative? Signed-off-by lines without a real
40 > name would be meaningless, which basically means that we would accept
41 > any contribution without being able to track its origin.
44 I'd like to (informally) propose the following, for which I'm willing to
45 formulate as a GLEP proposal if there is interest:
46
47 The Foundation has an established practice of storing the legal names of
48 developers who join under a pseudonym. The infrastructure is already in
49 place for this. I think that allowing these developers to commit using
50 their pseudonyms as long as the Foundation is informed their real
51 identity does not exacerbate the legal risks they already pose. The
52 foundation may decide their arbitrary criteria on who is eligible for
53 this type of protection, including requiring sound legal reasons for
54 them to keep their identities hidden. I understand that the maintenance
55 of this could be a burden for the Foundation in theory, but in practice
56 I suspect this number is very low already.
57
58 Although it does not address the issue for user contributors who would
59 like to use a pseudonym, I believe it would still be a step in the right
60 direction by being more inclusive to existing developers who have been
61 helping Gentoo for years.
62
63 > Ulrich