From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2019-04-14
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 21:06:14
1 >>>>> On Tue, 09 Apr 2019, Gokturk Yuksek wrote:
2
3 > I understand that but it creates problems with the consistent
4 > enforcement of the policy. There are no clear guidelines as to how we
5 > decide who requires identity validation and who doesn't. We don't even
6 > know who is tasked with making the request and performing the
7 > validation. If I work with a user and I am convinced that they provide
8 > their real name, is that sufficient for the foundation? Can I
9 > arbitrarily be suspicious of any user and demand them to provide their
10 > identity?
11
12 > [...]
13
14 > I can't help but agree with the point that we are losing real
15 > contributors and real community.
16
17 So, "real" contributors, but they don't have a real name?
18
19 > And people whom I talked to didn't oppose the Foundation's attempt to
20 > reduce legal liability. They were frustrated by the arbitrary
21 > enforcement and not having their opinions heard. The fact that people
22 > can get away with using a pseudonym as long as it reads like a normal
23 > person name (for which there is no definition) is something we have to
24 > address to the people who weren't as lucky with their choice of
25 > pseudonym and lost their ability to contribute.
26
27 Really, all these points had been raised before the copyright policy was
28 approved, and I am sure that both the Council and the Board have
29 considered them.
30
31 Also, what would be the alternative? Signed-off-by lines without a real
32 name would be meaningless, which basically means that we would accept
33 any contribution without being able to track its origin.
34
35 Ulrich