From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 16:59:19
1 On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:48 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:29:19 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Everybody on this mailing list falls into one of three categories:
6 >>
7 >> 1. They don't have all the facts regarding whatever happened 8+ years
8 >> ago regarding your case. (I'm in that category, FWIW.)
9 >
10 > It is publicly available. This took place on a public mailing list -nfp. It
11 > did not happen in a void or private communication.
12
13 Maybe it did. I can't vouch for this statement either way, because
14 I'm in group #1.
17 >> 2. They aren't allowed to post on this list whatever they do know
18 >> about what happened 8+ years ago.
19 >> 3. You.
20 >
21 > 4. They are no longer part of Gentoo.
22 >
23 > Most of the people involved in 2008, Chrissy, Alec, etc have all moved on. The
24 > mess created remains...
25
26 Well, if you have a problem with how Comrel is handling your case
27 today, I suggest you appeal it. That is really all I can do in my
28 position in group #1. If you appeal, I'll join group #2, and still
29 won't be able to comment here on what happened, but I'd get a vote in
30 whether you'd be allowed back.
33 >> And this is why mailing lists aren't really an effective place to
34 >> solve these sorts of disputes.
35 >
36 > What mailing list is? This is technically preventing development so should be
37 > on -dev. This list was created for such things related to the project that are
38 > not development related.
39 >
40 > Not surprising to hear it is off topic for this list. Where is it on topic a
41 > comrel list?
44 It would be on-topic in a private email to Comrel, or in an appeal to
45 the Council.
48 > Comrel chooses to get involved when they need not be. They had no reason to
49 > get involved in 2015, or since 2008. They did not need to get involved and
50 > take action in 2008.
53 Again, nobody here is really in a position to debate this issue. You
54 can post that another 1000x if it makes you feel better, but it isn't
55 going to be likely to cause anybody to take action on your case in
56 particular.
59 > If comrel did nothing in 2015, I would not be here posting.
60
61 And your recourse is to appeal. You haven't exhausted your options
62 with the process as it currently stands.
65 Rich