From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 11 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 12:02:06
1 On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'm not trying to make packages install in /usr with this change.
3 >...
4 > All I'm proposing is that on
5 > linux we should remove that divergance and put libraries where upstream
6 > installs them.
7
8 Ok, you're not proposing that we move stuff to /usr. You're proposing
9 that we stop moving stuff from /usr to / so that they end up in /usr
10 just the same. Whatever.
13 > Since we can tell we are on linux by looking at the chost/ctarget
14 > variables, and there is not an intention to change anything for *bsd or
15 > any other O/S, I am not sure I follow the need for a profile variable.
16
17 I think the profile variable is a very good suggestion. This allows
18 us to tune the behavior without hard-coding it, and it allows some
19 kind of testing/migration path.
20
21 I think that any changes need to be discussed a bit more broadly. I'm
22 actually supportive of the /usr move in general, but for the number of
23 complaints it has gotten I'm a bit surprised to not have seen more on
24 this thread. Maybe nobody reads -project.
25
26 Whether it is by the general dev community or the council I think
27 making any changes to something like gen_usr_ldscript needs good
28 awareness, testing, and feedback. As has already been pointed out, we
29 need to really be careful about the migration path since you're
30 talking about a potential revdep-rebuild for all kinds of packages.
31
32 Rich