From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 20:47:42
1 On 01/04/2017 08:12 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 18:58:26 +0100
3 > Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> With increasing focus on security in various contexts I'd like to
6 >> propose that we start discussing catching up with other distributions
7 >> and start requiring new developers' OpenPGP keyblocks to have at least
8 >> two signatures from existing developers before applications can be
9 >> made[A]. Amongst other things This helps building the Gentoo Web of Trust.
12 >> E.g [Debian] has the following requirement: "To maintain the strong Web
13 >> of Trust that connects all Debian Developers, Applicants need to
14 >> identify themselves by providing an OpenPGP key that is signed by at
15 >> least two official Developers. To further ensure their identity,
16 >> signatures by other people (who do not need to be DDs, but should be
17 >> well connected in the overall Web of Trust) are strongly recommended."
18 >
19 > Isn't barrier of entry to Gentoo high enough already? I know many
20 > people refusing to join because they consider quizzes
21 > and the recruitment procedure to be too cumbersome and a waste of time.
22
23 No, I don't feel that this is conflicting, on some level it comes down
24 to a matter of more than technical skills, in this particular context
25 also establishing trust, both in terms of security and in the long term
26 responsibilities of both having commit access in general and maintaining
27 the packages picked up for maintenance.
28
29 > I can imagine requiring people to actually travel and make appointments
30 > with other Gentoo developers will only make things worse.
31
32 Most signatures can likely be exchanged at local LUGs, in particular if
33 we increase presentation activity in order to be more visible. As an
34 example the Norwegian Unix User's Group is sponsoring flying in a Gentoo
35 developer this year to present here in Oslo.
38 > Considering that so far I haven't met any Gentoo developers. In fact, I
39 > barely met a few people who have any clue of (Open)PGP at all. If I was
40
41 Might be time for me for a trip to Poland :)
42
43 > required to get signatures from two Gentoo developers, I certainly
44 > would not have joined.
45
46 The discussion of this is interesting, and on some level it comes down
47 to Gentoo developers being more visible in their local communities to
48 offer such opportunities as well as meeting up with other Gentoo
49 developers in various contexts.
52 Kristian Fiskerstrand
53 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
54 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3