From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 19:13:07
1 On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 18:58:26 +0100
2 Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > With increasing focus on security in various contexts I'd like to
5 > propose that we start discussing catching up with other distributions
6 > and start requiring new developers' OpenPGP keyblocks to have at least
7 > two signatures from existing developers before applications can be
8 > made[A]. Amongst other things This helps building the Gentoo Web of Trust.
11 > E.g [Debian] has the following requirement: "To maintain the strong Web
12 > of Trust that connects all Debian Developers, Applicants need to
13 > identify themselves by providing an OpenPGP key that is signed by at
14 > least two official Developers. To further ensure their identity,
15 > signatures by other people (who do not need to be DDs, but should be
16 > well connected in the overall Web of Trust) are strongly recommended."
17
18 Isn't barrier of entry to Gentoo high enough already? I know many
19 people refusing to join because they consider quizzes
20 and the recruitment procedure to be too cumbersome and a waste of time.
21 I can imagine requiring people to actually travel and make appointments
22 with other Gentoo developers will only make things worse.
23
24 Considering that so far I haven't met any Gentoo developers. In fact, I
25 barely met a few people who have any clue of (Open)PGP at all. If I was
26 required to get signatures from two Gentoo developers, I certainly
27 would not have joined.
28
29 Maybe if I were unemployed and the Foundation was willing to reimburse
30 travel costs... but right now, I can't really imagine finding time to
31 go and collect Gentoo Pokémon.
34 Best regards,
35 Michał Górny
36 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>