From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - council meeting 2020-03-08
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2020 12:20:49
1 On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 3:57 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 2020-02-25 at 19:59 -0800, Georgy Yakovlev wrote:
4 > > Hello,
5 > >
6 > > on 2020-03-08, the Gentoo council will meet at
7 > > 19:00 UTC in the #gentoo-council channel on freenode.
8 > >
9 > > Please reply to this message with any items you would like us to discuss
10 > > or vote on.
11 >
12 > Following the discussion within the QA team, I'd like to ask the Council
13 > to clarify whether EAPI 4 ban applies to revision bumps as a result of
14 > dependency changes?
17 Personally I don't think it should, especially if the change is just fixing
18 something that broke.
21 > I think the key point in banning EAPIs is that the maintainer (or
22 > generally, someone caring about the package in question) should be
23 > responsible for the EAPI bump. I don't think anybody should be forced
24 > to do that when in middle of large batch of changes (read: when I only
25 > touch the package because it's blocking me).
28 Seconded.
31 > In this particular case, I'm thinking of revbumps due to dependency
32 > changes. Say, if I do a change in a dependency *I* maintain, and have
33 > to fix a large number of revdeps, I don't think it's fair to expect me
34 > to EAPI-bump some packages I don't maintain. The main difference is
35 > that we're talking of dep change + revbump that can be linted via
36 > pkgcheck/repoman vs. EAPI bump that needs full scale testing.
39 I second the motion.
40
41 I think that certain changes can be "grandfathered" if they can be done
42 without breaking anything
43
44 > --
45 > Best regards,