From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:08:21
1 On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 08:37:57PM +0200, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > hasufell schrieb:
3 > >> They can each have their own ebuild in portage. I do not think that overlays
4 > >> are the solution here.
5 > >
6 > > That idea is so bad I hope we will never see it happen.
7 >
8 > That's what GLEP 39 explictly allows.
9
10 I have to agree on this point. glep 39 allows, and should allow
11 competing projects.
12
13 > >>> Will that make any1
14 > >>> reconsider his attitude about being a maintainer and realize that it
15 > >>> means to serve the _user_?
16 > >>
17 > >> No, it means to scratch an itch.
18 > >
19 > > I think we will not improve as a distro if we do not redefine our
20 > > priorities.
21 > > I have the feeling that our work is not user-centered anymore, but
22 > > developer-centered and that concept is simply wrong and no sane business
23 > > manager would ever disagree.
24
25 We are a group of volunteers, not a business, so I'm not sure how much
26 the business model can apply to us.
27
28 > If you want a user-centric distro which is run by business managers, that
29 > niche is already occupied. If Gentoo tried to achieve a linear user
30 > experience, putting uniformity over diversity, then we'd just become a poor
31 > copy of Ubuntu. Would it increase our user base? Probably. Would it still be
32 > Gentoo? I'm not sure.
33
34 By the nature of being a source based distribution, we can offer a
35 uniform user experience without being a poor copy of any binary
36 distribution, and that uniform user experience could be far more
37 flexable than any binary distribution.
38
39 William