From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 18:38:09
1 hasufell schrieb:
2 >> They can each have their own ebuild in portage. I do not think that overlays
3 >> are the solution here.
4 >
5 > That idea is so bad I hope we will never see it happen.
6
7 That's what GLEP 39 explictly allows.
8
9 >>> Will that make any1
10 >>> reconsider his attitude about being a maintainer and realize that it
11 >>> means to serve the _user_?
12 >>
13 >> No, it means to scratch an itch.
14 >
15 > I think we will not improve as a distro if we do not redefine our
16 > priorities.
17 > I have the feeling that our work is not user-centered anymore, but
18 > developer-centered and that concept is simply wrong and no sane business
19 > manager would ever disagree.
20
21 If you want a user-centric distro which is run by business managers, that
22 niche is already occupied. If Gentoo tried to achieve a linear user
23 experience, putting uniformity over diversity, then we'd just become a poor
24 copy of Ubuntu. Would it increase our user base? Probably. Would it still be
25 Gentoo? I'm not sure.
28 Best regards,
29 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn