From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: chithanh@g.o
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 17:52:06
1 On 07/01/2013 07:26 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > hasufell schrieb:
3 >> On 07/01/2013 01:16 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
4 >>> But until
5 >>> then, if the kids cannot get along they shall play on separate playgrounds.
6 >>
7 >> That separate playground is usually an overlay and it has already
8 >> happened,
9 >
10 > They can each have their own ebuild in portage. I do not think that overlays
11 > are the solution here.
14 That idea is so bad I hope we will never see it happen.
15 A distribution is a _centralized_ place where packages are maintained
16 _consistently_.
17
18 If we don't care about consistency anymore and cover the lack of
19 professionalism (people who ignore philosophy, policy, don't communicate
20 etc) under "choice" then we are heading for a user-free community.
21
22 >> Does that improve user experience? Is that the answer to a systematic
23 >> problem of inconsistency and stubbornness?
24 >
25 > I fail to see the systematic problem. It was a couple of devs who made drama.
26 > Not enough in my eyes to justify a policy change.
27
28 No, I was not talking about systemd files and I do not want this topic
29 to be cut down to that issue. It's about widespread behavior causing
30 confusion for users and worsening the user experience.
31
32 consequences:
33 - devs who are sick of other devs/herds/projects that they continue to
34 a) maintain a package alone (not an improvement) or even b) maintain it
35 in an overlay to avoid conflict with territorial people
36 - devs who push a different ebuild for the same package to gx86 causing
37 a) duplicated work b) confusion for the user and c) avoiding to work
38 with each other
39 - devs who stop to care for some package and doing their modifications
40 locally without ever pushing/discussing them
41
42 win-win?
45 >> Will that make any1
46 >> reconsider his attitude about being a maintainer and realize that it
47 >> means to serve the _user_?
48 >
49 > No, it means to scratch an itch.
53 I think we will not improve as a distro if we do not redefine our
54 priorities.
55 I have the feeling that our work is not user-centered anymore, but
56 developer-centered and that concept is simply wrong and no sane business
57 manager would ever disagree.