From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: chithanh@g.o
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:32:51
1 On 07/01/2013 08:37 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > hasufell schrieb:
3 >>> They can each have their own ebuild in portage. I do not think that overlays
4 >>> are the solution here.
5 >>
6 >> That idea is so bad I hope we will never see it happen.
7 >
8 > That's what GLEP 39 explictly allows.
9 >
10 >>>> Will that make any1
11 >>>> reconsider his attitude about being a maintainer and realize that it
12 >>>> means to serve the _user_?
13 >>>
14 >>> No, it means to scratch an itch.
15 >>
16 >> I think we will not improve as a distro if we do not redefine our
17 >> priorities.
18 >> I have the feeling that our work is not user-centered anymore, but
19 >> developer-centered and that concept is simply wrong and no sane business
20 >> manager would ever disagree.
21 >
22 > If you want a user-centric distro which is run by business managers, that
23 > niche is already occupied. If Gentoo tried to achieve a linear user
24 > experience, putting uniformity over diversity, then we'd just become a poor
25 > copy of Ubuntu. Would it increase our user base? Probably. Would it still be
26 > Gentoo? I'm not sure.
30 That is wrapping words in my mouth or at least misunderstanding on
31 purpose. Please read more carefully.
32
33 I knew people would jump on that anecdote of business management. I was
34 not talking about gentoo becoming a business, but about facts based on
35 experience in the world of (free) software development which tell us to
36 involve the user in development. That user can very well consist of
37 specific group we are explicitly targeting, so your other point is wrong
38 too: I did not talk about widening the userbase by putting "uniformity"
39 over "diversity". I did not mention any of these words, you said them. I
40 was talking about _consistency_ (at least on a certain level) and that
41 does not necessarily conflict with diversity and does not involve
42 changing our userbase. It does conflict with diversity at those points
43 where people stop working together and stop discussing issues and just
44 go their own way either by doing things against our philosophy/policy or
45 by being stubborn/uncommunicative.
46 That can happen in numerous ways, especially on those issues which are
47 definitely worth _global discussion_, such as eclasses, supporting a new
48 init-system, switching a default implementation, messing with profiles,
49 with portage, PMS whatever.
50
51 Did any1 in those recent discussions ask: do _our users_ actually want
52 feature x or feature y, implementation foo or bar?
53 If the answer is yes and it makes sense for us too, then we should not
54 care about a minority of devs that do not like that course.
55
56 Ofc we have our low-level principles that might not change in the
57 forseeable future, but that does not mean we can ignore what our
58 community thinks and circumvent conflict resolution by avoiding each
59 other which is basically what that sounds like.
60
61 Bringing up the word "ubuntu" in this dicussion is a really poor thing.
62
63 Do you hold the concept of "maintainership" over "common sense"?