From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:51:23
1 hasufell schrieb:
2 >>> I think we will not improve as a distro if we do not redefine our
3 >>> priorities.
4 >>> I have the feeling that our work is not user-centered anymore, but
5 >>> developer-centered and that concept is simply wrong and no sane business
6 >>> manager would ever disagree.
7 >>
8 >> If you want a user-centric distro which is run by business managers, that
9 >> niche is already occupied. If Gentoo tried to achieve a linear user
10 >> experience, putting uniformity over diversity, then we'd just become a poor
11 >> copy of Ubuntu. Would it increase our user base? Probably. Would it still be
12 >> Gentoo? I'm not sure.
13 >
14 > That is wrapping words in my mouth or at least misunderstanding on
15 > purpose. Please read more carefully.
16
17 What I got from your statement is that you want to redefine Gentoo
18 priorities, become more user-centric, and do less things that a business
19 manager would not approve.
20 If that is not your position then I take back my above statement.
21
22 > Ofc we have our low-level principles that might not change in the
23 > forseeable future, but that does not mean we can ignore what our
24 > community thinks and circumvent conflict resolution by avoiding each
25 > other which is basically what that sounds like.
26
27 If conflict resolution actually means impose a change in a package onto the
28 maintainer against his will, then I am all for circumventing it.
29
30 > Bringing up the word "ubuntu" in this dicussion is a really poor thing.
31
32 You brought up "business" so I thought I'd return the favor. :)
33
34 > Do you hold the concept of "maintainership" over "common sense"?
35
36 I feel like I am starting to repeat myself, and possibly we have lost the
37 others, so unless pressed I am going to add some clarification to my
38 manifesto rather than making further replies to this thread.
41 Best regards,
42 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn