From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Extending Social Contract to guarantee that Gentoo will remain volunteer work
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:41:12
1 This makes no sense.
2
3 On Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:03:17 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
4 > [discussion intended at -nfp, CC-ing -project]
5 >
6 > Hi,
7 >
8 > I would like to add an additional clause to the Gentoo Social Contract
9 > [1], to guarantee that Gentoo will remain a volunteer-based project
10 > and will not turn into some kind of paid enterprise. The suggested text
11
12 While others head the other direction...
13 https://www.freexian.com/en/services/debian-lts.html
14
15 > would be:
16 > | Gentoo is and will remain independent volunteer work. We will never
17 > | pay anyone to develop Gentoo, nor will we accept any donations given
18 > | on the condition of any particular development.
19 >
20 > Text improvements welcome.
21 >
22 > The main idea is to protect volunteers spending their time on Gentoo.
23 > I don't want to learn one day that my opinion doesn't matter anymore
24 > because a new lead (Council, Trustees, Board, BDFL or any other
25 > possible future form) decides that they/he/she will use the donation
26 > money to hire paid workers doing the Gentoo work that they desire.
27
28 Despite many others doing this successfully, Gnome, FreeBSD, etc
29
30 FOSS does not come about solely due to volunteers. If it was not for paid FOSS
31 development, most would not exist. It is not 100% because of non paid
32 volunteers.
33
34 > I believe that any possible lead Gentoo might elect in the future
35 > should still represent the whole Gentoo community, and the community
36 > should have the right to refuse to follow the directions set by
37 > the lead if he/she stops listening to the community. As volunteers,
38 > we have the right to refuse to do something that in our opinion harms
39 > Gentoo.
40
41 Represent the community? I think you mean the developers. There is no
42 representation of the community and many are opposed to such. Need to stop
43 calling Developers the community, and stop making it like the community is
44 more than Developers. When clearly speaking of Developers only.
45
46 > Sadly, this could become pointless if the leading bodies keep the power
47 > to hire people to work on Gentoo for money. This means that effectively
48 > they have the power to spend Gentoo money on pursuing their own goals
49 > as long as they can legally claim that the work is done for
50 > the benefit of Gentoo. In volunteer-based project, they effectively
51 > have to *convince* others to work on their ideas and/or spend
52 > a significant effort working on them themselves.
53
54 This is not how most volunteer projects are run. If volunteer projects were
55 all convincing others of your mission. Most would go no where.
56
57 Go volunteer somewhere in person and see...
58
59 > The other part is pretty much a formality, that means to make it clear
60 > that Gentoo is not supposed to be bribed by third-party companies to
61 > alter its course. I don't think it really changes anything but it looks
62 > like a nice thing to state.
63
64 Ok, so no sponsors. As a sponsor would likely fund development in a given
65 area. Which means if there is no formal process for such, just have to resort
66 to other means.
67
68 > I should note that this doesn't mean to prevent anyone from being paid
69 > by third parties to work on Gentoo, or receive any money on account of
70 > what he did or is doing for Gentoo. I think that's fine as long as
71 > the wider Gentoo community has the right to reject any work that it
72 > sees unfit.
73
74 Wait, you do not want Gentoo to spend its money to further Gentoo. But you are
75 fine with outside companies hiring Gentoo developers to have them enact their
76 will. That makes allot of sense...
77
78 I could hire a few Gentoo developers and have them enact my will. They would
79 still be volunteers. Not beholden to the Gentoo Foundation but who is cutting
80 their pay checks. Wonderful logic!
81
82 That makes NO sense. Volunteers cannot be paid directly by the project. But
83 letting outsiders pay for influence in the project. Then who is really deciding
84 what is best? The project or outsiders?
87 William L. Thomson Jr.