From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2019-07-21
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 23:48:19
1 Hi all!
2
3 On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 23:00:01 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
4 > On Sun, 2019-07-07 at 21:30 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > > In two weeks from now, the newly elected Council will have its
6 > > constituent meeting. This is the time to raise and prepare items that
7 > > the Council should put on the agenda to discuss or vote on.
8 > >
9 > > Please respond to this message with agenda items. Do not hesitate to
10 > > repeat your agenda item here with a pointer if you previously
11 > > suggested one (since the last meeting).
14 > My second agenda item is: removing posting restrictions from gentoo-dev
15 > mailing list.
16 >
17 > I was on the Council that made those changes, and from retrospective I
18 > believe the decision to be a mistake. It was made to workaround
19 > a problem with inefficiency of ComRel, and we should have focused
20 > on fixing ComRel instead. I don't believe it serves its purpose well
21 > and IMO it causes more problems than it solves.
22
23 We had the problem of the lists becoming unusable. Since person
24 involved actively avoided bans, the only working technical mean
25 available was to whitelist the gentoo-dev mail list. Other
26 technical means like targeted banning apparently have had failed.
27
28 Social means were also ineffective as someone usually supported a
29 flame by replying to provocative posts due to one reason or another.
30
31 So the only reliable solution was to whitelist. Is this solution
32 good? No, it isn't. But when choosing between bad and worst, bad
33 solution is preferable. I'm grateful to the council of that term
34 for having guts to take responsibility and make uneasy, arguable
35 but necessary decision.
36
37 > Notably:
38 >
39 > 1. People (including developers) workaround it via posting to -project.
40 > As a result, the correct split on topic of those two mailing lists is
41 > disturbed.
42
43 This had happened before the whitelisting and will happen even if
44 it will be lifted.
45
46 > 2. The majority of 'blocked' -dev posters are helpful *users*. We ought
47 > not to put unnecessary obstacles because of few harmful entities.
48
49 1. All proxied maintainers were whitelisted automatically.
50
51 2. Everyone willing to participate in the discussion is free to
52 contact any dev and be whitelisted if a dev will vouch for them.
53 I whitelisted some people myself per requests.
54
55 > 3. Some processes, in particular ebuild, user/group addition review etc.
56 > require posting to -dev. This makes it unnecessarily painful to proxied
57 > maintainers who need to request adding it.
58
59 All proxied maintainers were whitelisted and the time when
60 whitelisting was activated. It is the responsibility of their peers
61 to whitelist any new proxied maintainers. Probably the proxy
62 maintainers team can manage this on a regular scheme.
63
64 > 4. In fact, I ended up as top committer to whitelist repo, and that's
65 > because I've been adding proxied maintainers to it. The sole fact that
66 > so few people are being added shows that people resign from posting
67 > rather than request being added.
68
69 Yes, this is a drawback of current solution, but we have nothing
70 better available. And as a side effect we now know the most
71 tenacious contributors.
72
73 > All that considered, I don't that the whitelist approach works. It
74 > only:
75 >
76 > a. discourages helpful people from posting,
77
78 But without whitelisting much more people will be discouraged from
79 posting. And not just posting. The way the gentoo-dev list was just
80 before the whitelisting, it discouraged existing people from
81 contributions and discouraged many potential contributors due to
82 highly toxic and unproductive atmosphere.
83
84 > b. adds unnecessary work on developers who have to update the list,
85
86 It's not that much of a work. For proxied maintainer the
87 appropriate team may engage some scripting for this task.
88
89 > c. breaks list topic separation.
90
91 This problem exists, but within a tolerance level and it was
92 present even before the whitelisting, so it will exist even if the
93 whitelisting will be removed, since this is a multifactor issue.
94
95 > Therefore, I would like to request the Council to vote on removing
96 > the whitelist and reopening the list to public posting.
97
98 And I kindly ask the Council to review all pros and cons before
99 changing the current state.
100
101 Best regards,
102 Andrew Savchenko