From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2019-07-21
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 06:28:48
1 On Sun, 2019-07-21 at 02:48 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 23:00:01 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > My second agenda item is: removing posting restrictions from gentoo-dev
4 > > mailing list.
5 > >
6 > > I was on the Council that made those changes, and from retrospective I
7 > > believe the decision to be a mistake. It was made to workaround
8 > > a problem with inefficiency of ComRel, and we should have focused
9 > > on fixing ComRel instead. I don't believe it serves its purpose well
10 > > and IMO it causes more problems than it solves.
11 >
12 > We had the problem of the lists becoming unusable. Since person
13 > involved actively avoided bans, the only working technical mean
14 > available was to whitelist the gentoo-dev mail list. Other
15 > technical means like targeted banning apparently have had failed.
16
17 For the record, this is oversimplfying. The main reason why the person
18 in question has bypassed the ban is because ComRel failed to deliver
19 a professional notice about the ban, and therefore provoked him to
20 publish it. Not saying it's justified or appropriate, saying it might
21 not have happened if we did things right.
22
23 I'm not aware of any case of deliberate repeated ban evasions that
24 required explicit action in the past. Are you?
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny