From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2019-07-21
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 11:26:04
1 On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 08:28:39 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2019-07-21 at 02:48 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 23:00:01 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > > My second agenda item is: removing posting restrictions from gentoo-dev
5 > > > mailing list.
6 > > >
7 > > > I was on the Council that made those changes, and from retrospective I
8 > > > believe the decision to be a mistake. It was made to workaround
9 > > > a problem with inefficiency of ComRel, and we should have focused
10 > > > on fixing ComRel instead. I don't believe it serves its purpose well
11 > > > and IMO it causes more problems than it solves.
12 > >
13 > > We had the problem of the lists becoming unusable. Since person
14 > > involved actively avoided bans, the only working technical mean
15 > > available was to whitelist the gentoo-dev mail list. Other
16 > > technical means like targeted banning apparently have had failed.
17 >
18 > For the record, this is oversimplfying. The main reason why the person
19 > in question has bypassed the ban is because ComRel failed to deliver
20 > a professional notice about the ban, and therefore provoked him to
21 > publish it. Not saying it's justified or appropriate, saying it might
22 > not have happened if we did things right.
23 >
24 > I'm not aware of any case of deliberate repeated ban evasions that
25 > required explicit action in the past. Are you?
26
27 The person in question was banned many times and each time
28 registered new e-mail and continued a flame. This is what is called
29 the ban evasion and the only practical way to stop this is the
30 white list.
31
32 Best regards,
33 Andrew Savchenko