From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2019-07-21
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 11:53:31
1 On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 4:26 AM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 08:28:39 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > On Sun, 2019-07-21 at 02:48 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 > > > On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 23:00:01 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
6 > > > > My second agenda item is: removing posting restrictions from
7 > gentoo-dev
8 > > > > mailing list.
9 > > > >
10 > > > > I was on the Council that made those changes, and from retrospective
11 > I
12 > > > > believe the decision to be a mistake. It was made to workaround
13 > > > > a problem with inefficiency of ComRel, and we should have focused
14 > > > > on fixing ComRel instead. I don't believe it serves its purpose well
15 > > > > and IMO it causes more problems than it solves.
16 > > >
17 > > > We had the problem of the lists becoming unusable. Since person
18 > > > involved actively avoided bans, the only working technical mean
19 > > > available was to whitelist the gentoo-dev mail list. Other
20 > > > technical means like targeted banning apparently have had failed.
21 > >
22 > > For the record, this is oversimplfying. The main reason why the person
23 > > in question has bypassed the ban is because ComRel failed to deliver
24 > > a professional notice about the ban, and therefore provoked him to
25 > > publish it. Not saying it's justified or appropriate, saying it might
26 > > not have happened if we did things right.
27 > >
28 > > I'm not aware of any case of deliberate repeated ban evasions that
29 > > required explicit action in the past. Are you?
30 >
31 > The person in question was banned many times and each time
32 > registered new e-mail and continued a flame. This is what is called
33 > the ban evasion and the only practical way to stop this is the
34 > white list.
37 This is also a case in point for the principle I was advancing. If true,
38 said person was blatantly trespassing on a list he knew damn well he was
39 not welcome to post on, and just by breaching the ban he committed an
40 offense completely separate from the one that got him banned in the first
41 place.
42
43 In the real world, this would be akin to violating a restraining order,
44 which in my state is a crime you get put in jail for, and in aggravated
45 cases it is even a felony.
46
47 Bringing that example back to the context of the mailing list, are there
48 stronger measures that can be taken besides just banning him or
49 whitelisting the list (which causes collateral inconvenience to innocent
50 bystanders)?
51
52 Some say that the best defense is a good offense, and in my opinion,
53 stronger measures that can target and punish the trespasser directly and
54 that avoid collateral inconveniences to innocent bystanders would be better.
55
56 My opinion is that the consequences should escalate somehow, not unlike how
57 in the real world, blatantly defying a consequence is punishable with an
58 escalation to more serious consequences, and this principle applies in more
59 contexts than criminal justice.
60
61 For one example, breaking the rules in a bar will get the bouncer tossing
62 you out and banning you. Going back however will get the police summoned
63 to arrest you for trespassing. After that, you getting banned from the bar
64 is going to be the least of your worries, because now you have a rap sheet.
65
66 The bouncer isn't going to just keep repeatedly throwing you out. You get
67 thrown out ONCE, after that the bouncer is justified in escalating. On the
68 side, once the police show up the situation changes, and you WILL be
69 leaving the bar whether you like it or not, and point of fact if you even
70 fight the situation things will escalate even further. If the police have
71 to remove you from the bar by force you will be charged with trespassing,
72 and you may also get an added charge of resisting arrest. Outright
73 fighting the police will get you tased and then charged with assaulting an
74 officer which is a felony. The point being that, at every point, defying
75 consequences results in escalations that bring more severe consequences.
76
77 For another example, if you get suspended without pay by your boss at work
78 because you did something wrong, you serve the suspension and either go
79 through proper channels to appeal or leave well enough alone. If you defy
80 your suspension and clock in anyway you're probably going to get a big fat
81 pink slip for insubordination because at that point you deliberately
82 disobeyed a direct order.
83
84 I think that the trespassing on a list that he's been banned from should be
85 itself treated as a serious offense, and a separate offense from the one
86 that he was originally banned for, and I would hope that there's likewise
87 ways to escalate against mailing list ban evasion in ways that don't cause
88 collateral inconvenience for other users of that list.
91 > Best regards,
92 > Andrew Savchenko
93 >